Fadly Multimedia's Website

This blog is a multimedia designer's guide to video, photo,programming c++, c#,html(css,js,jquery), python, audio producing works we can all share and grow together with.

Post Page Advertisement [Top]



So i've been using blender(instead of Maya, which I'm more comfortable with) to model this intricate motorcycle from Piaggio. The X8 scooter. Truth be told, I'm a motorcycle guy rather than a car guy. 

Here are the final product photos: 





If you're interested in the process, read further:


"I first started with, as usual, reference images, if there are blueprints, then all the more better." -Wych

(images lifted from various places. Credits fully to them. I dont own any of these reference photos. There are all for educational purposes.)





Let's jump straight into it. 


Rims, Tires, Wheels


Metal Tire Rim:
I created a cylinder with 6 vertices to form a 6-sided cylinder. Then I split it up and deleted all the other sides except for one. Then I set my 3d cursor to the center where I want my other “pie” to be revolving around. I set my origin to the 3d cursor and then created an empty ‘plane axes’. Then I select the cylinder”pie” and add an array modifier and set iteration to 6. Then I took the rotation empty plane and rotated it 360 degrees. I now have a 6 sided flat cylinder. So all I did was just extrude the main “pie” and the rest would follow. To create the tire metal rim, I just extruded until it almost forms a circle and then I vertex snap the edges to make them all come together.


Cont'd
Whats left to do is just highlight the rim faces(downside and upside) and go to tab on the left and use “loop tools”>”Circle”


Creating the wheels
I created a Torus and aligned it nicely with the metal tire rim


Screw mechanism
First I created a circle mesh. Then I adjusted the vertices down to 18 and applied a “screw” modifier to come to this stage. This is for the suspension cord.
Suspension Cord with the metal bar
I then put the ‘iterations’ to 11 and change the axis to Y. And update the ‘screw’ value in the modifier to make it look like a spring(closer together). All that’s left now is to scale the circle head to make it thinner. I created a cylinder within the spring and extruded the surfaces like in the picture. I then extruded the bottom and made a curve and expanded the bottom

Exhaust & Gearbox


Exhaust pipes
I took a cylinder and rotate it into position.  I extruded the parts of the cylinder by pressing e. And also I scaled them as and when I need to.to form the shape in the reference. I also extruded the circular face at the other end to form the long tube. From a cube, I made loop cuts on the surface to form an octohedron shape. I then squished it and made it more longer. In this last  picture, what I did was to loop select the top edges and scaled and extruded them to the example picture here.I then attached it to the exhaust.



Gearbox1
Create a circle mesh and turn vertices down to 8. Fit it according to the reference and then form a face on the circle. Then we want to cut the circle, so use “J” and slice the circle as shown here. Next, we want to use the solidify modifier to add volume to the item.

Gearbox2
I extruded the thing according to the topology of the reference. I then duplicated the circle extrusion and combined those together by removing doubles and setting it to 0.23. I then added a ‘solidify modifier at the back to make the plane thicker.

Gearbox3
Finally I made the extrusion at the bottom into a circle by ‘looptools’>’circle’ under the specials menu. I also adjusted the vertices on the sides to make it look like a sloping item.

                      Main Motor Body


I started with a plane and rotated it 90degrees to face me(sideview-right). I then adjusted the vertices according to the lines shown. I decided to cover up all the green areas of the body. For those vertices in between, I used “J” to connect the vertices. I then subdivided the new edges according to how many vertices I would need.

Then I extruded all the vertices according to the topology of the bike. Did this by referring to the top-view image reference. To do this simpler, from top-view, I select a group of vertices to extrude out, then ‘pull it out’, then I “ctrl-“ to lessen the area of influence and ‘pull it’, and so on, like a Chinese lantern-like fashion.

I applied the mirror modifier before I went to model and join the “inner” black parts of the vehicle. I connected the vertices by using “f” two by two. I cannot use “J” as there are no faces yet. I then individually add a face to the vertices. Lastly, I extruded the “black parts” inwards, just like the real motorbike.

I switched to the front view to continue follow the topology of the motorbike. I then extruded the edges of the wheel hollow inwards(see picture, I also cancelled the mirror modifier for now so I can see better).

I did the same extruding of the edges at the back of the vehicle to form the concave hollow for the wheel.

I then form a face on the bottom of the motorbike and added edges and vertices(can’t apply edge loops as not a 4-side figure)

Lastly, I added the mirror modifier again. I also inverted some normal so that all sides are facing the front. And I turned on “Smooth” from the transform tab.


Connectors,Mudguard & Dirt Shield

I made a cube and bevel the sides to make a semi circle. I then cut the circle in half. I made some vertices and then I contorted the shape to look like a wheel shield..(ignore the previous motorbike body in this picture)

I then made the surface smooth and position it

I created a cylinder, scaled it smaller and extruded the different parts to look like a wheel connector. The foot of the connector, I just created a circle, turn down the vertices number and then contort it to look like that shape. .(ignore the previous motorbike body in the picture)

Mudguard1: So I made a plane mesh and adjusted the vertices according to reference images using  the top and right sided picture. I then cut it into half and added mirror modifier.



Mudguard2: I also adjusted the vertices to cover the side, then I just smoothed the surface and added a solidify modifier to thicker.

Seats, Screen, Side Mirrors

Seat1: first created a mesh plane and I adjusted the vertices to match the reference image. I then cut the plane into half and use the mirror modifier.

Seat2:Lastly I used the solidify modifier to “thicken” the plane and transform it into a seat. I then added edge loops and adjusted the vertices like in this picture. Once done, I used the subdivision modifier.
Screen1:I added a plane mesh and adjusted the vertices according to the reference image. I also used edge loops to contort the mesh equally. I then cut the plane into half and added a mirror modifier.

Screen2:I then added a solidify modifier to make the screen glass thicker by abit. And finally, like all my mirror modifiers, I adjusted until the centre line is not so visible(using “merge limit”), as well as delete faces in between the mirrors. .(ignore the previous motorbike body in this picture)
Sidemirror1: I started with a circle mesh with 8 vertices and started to follow the topology of the bike. I didn’t make the handle yet

Sidemirror2:Once I got the correct shape geometry from every angle, I procceded to add a solidify modifier. At the base of the mesh where the handle is supposed to be, I added a ‘specials’ loop tools circle and extruded the handle from there. In this stage pictured, I added an edge loop to make the curvature significant and then another one so that I can add a face inside for the mirror. I also made sure normal are calculated outwards.
Sidemirror3:Once happy, I then duplicated the mesh and move it along the x axis as well as I pressed S to scale on the x axis to “-1”, which will mirror the mirror.


Dashboard & backhandle


Backhandle1: I started out with a cylinder with 6 vertices, then cut it in half and applied the mirror modifier. I then began to extrude
Backhandle2: I extruded along the reference line(right and top images) and then attach the bottom of the handle on the body. .(ignore the previous motorbike body in this picture)
Dashboard1: I made a cube and cut it into half with edge loop, deleted the faces of one side and applied a mirror modifier. I then took two of the top edges and bevelled them. I then subdivided the edge at the bottom and connected the vertices through using “J”. The hard part comes when I tried to delete a face in the middle to fit the handle and brake. Once done, I subdivided the edge to make the shape shown in the picture. Then I extruded the vertices inwards twice. Then I selected the inner vertices and use the specials(W) and looptools to make it circular. This is the base of the handle.

Dashboard Brakes: So I subdivided one of the faces beside the handle and use specials(W) to make a circle and extruded the brakes. I then added a sphere at the end.

Smoothing: I then used the backview image reference and extruded some parts of the bottom to form this. I turned on ‘smooth’ from the transform tab and flip some faces where their normal are wrong.


Textures & Materials



Acrylic Glass is made first by adding a material on the bike screen and adding:
Glass bsdf,
Mix Shader1,
Mix Shader2(for translucence),
Fresnel,
Translucent shader,
Diffuse Bsdf,
In node editor, attach the glass bsdf and diffuse bsdf to the mix shader1(and into output). Then add Fresnel to the ‘factor’ of mixshader1, this allows the sides of the screen to reflect light(set IOR to 1.49). Meanwhile adjust the color of the diffuse bsdf to reflect acrylic green tint. Then add mixshader2 so that we can combine a translucent shader, then turn down mixshader2’s factor to .049. .(ignore the previous motorbike body in this picture)

.(usage: Screen(as shown).)

Cushion: I needed to make a material with uneven texture. I added a:
·   Glossy bsdf
·   Mix shader
·   Layer weight
To add gloss to the material. The mix-shader is to combine the ‘diffuse’ with the ‘gloss bsdf’. The ‘layer weight’ is added for the factor part of the mix-shader. Next, I needed the bumps so I added:

·   Voronoi Texture
·   Musgrave Texture
·   mixRGB
·   ColorRamp
·   Bump
‘Voronoi’ is scaled to 100 to increase the “sediments” in the texture. ‘Musgrave’ is changed to multifractal with a scale of 100 to make texture look “poped-up” and ‘sand-like’. Both these attributes are funnelled into the ‘mixRGB’ with the “add” property. Then this info is funnelled into the ‘ColorRamp’ to create more contrast in the texture. Change the gradient meter to black on one side and slide it closer to the middle. Then funnel this into the ‘Bump’ and change the strength to 0.3 and distance 0.1. Send the attributes to the diffuse bsdf and the glossy bsdf.

.(usage: Seat & Dashboard handle grips.)
Grey Plastic: I needed a glossy hard plastic material, I added these:
·   MixShader
·   Fresnel
·   Glossy Bsdf
I added a mix Shader in-between the standard diffuse bsdf and the output. I changed the color of the ‘diffuse’ to grey. I then added ‘glossy bsdf’ with roughness of 0.05 and then added ‘fresnel’ with IOR of 1.46.
.(usage: Backhandle)

Metal: I deleted the standard ‘diffuse bsdf’ in the node editor and added:
·   Anisotropic BSDF
·   Tangent
I changed the ‘Anisotropic’ to Ashkimin-shirley and change the color to a coolish blue. Like cold metal. I then adjusted the ‘Tangent’ so that the light falls vertically on the metal.
.(usage: Wheel connectors, Suspension, Exhaust & Gearbox)

Mirror: I simply deleted the standard ‘diffuse bsdf’ and replaced it with the ‘Glossy bsdf’. I changed the attribute to “Sharp” and color to a slight yellow tint.
.(usage: Sidemirror interior)

Black Plastic: Like the grey plastic, I simply added Fresnel(IOR 1.46) and Glossy bsdf(roughness 0.05) into the mix-shader. The ‘Diffuse bsdf’ is changed to black and funnelled into the MixShader.
.(usage: Sidemirror,Some parts of the Motorbike body)

Rubber: So I added:
·   RGB
·   Voronoi Texture
·   MixRGB
·   Fresnel
·   Velvet BSDF
·   Lighten
·   Glossy
·   MixShader1
·   MixShader2
I change the ‘RGB’ to be a light black color. ‘Voronoi Texture’ is added with “Cells” property and scale set to 500. Next, funnel these attributes into a ‘MixRGB’ and change attribute to “Multiply”. Then output it’s color unto ‘diffuse bsdf’, ‘velvet bsdf’(Sigma is 1) and ‘lighten’(Factor is 1). I then added a ‘fresnel’ with IOR 1.519 and sent it to both the mixshaders. The ‘diffuse’ and ‘velvet’ is output to MixShader1, which in turn is sent to MixShader2.The lighten>Glossy bsdf(roughness 0.15) is output to MixShader2.
.(usage: Tires)

White metal: For this I just added:
·   Principled BSDF
·   Tangent
I deleted the standard ‘diffuse bsdf’. I changed the tangent to ‘Z’ axis. At ‘Principled BSDF’, I made the changes as shown in the picture.
.(usage: Wheel interior, Exhaust shield, Dashboard Handbrakes and griptip and gripbase,)

Cables & Springs: I simply changed the ‘diffuse bsdf’ to purple.
.(usage: Suspension spring)
Chrome:I added these to make the chrome body and the wheelshield.
·   Tangent
·   Anisotropic BSDF
·   MixShader
I changed ‘Tangent’ to X axis. I also changed the ‘Anisotropic’ attribute to “Beckmann” with roughness of 0.35, Anisotropy of 0.6 and rotation of 0.622. I then funnelled it into the ‘MixShader’ and into the output.
.(usage: Motorbike Body & Wheel Shield)


UV Mapping & Lighting


UVMAP-Backlight: I highlighted the faces where the backlight is then press “ctrl+e” and mark seams. Then I pressed “U” and instead of unwrap, I chose “Project as viewed”. Once done, I went into ‘uv editor mode’ and placed the vertice points onto the png image of the lighting that I grabbed from the real model.

I also needed to create a new material and went into the ‘node editor’ and deleted the standard ‘diffuse bsdf’ and instead added the ‘Image texture’ and opened the same png file of the backlight. I then added:
·Texture coordinate
·Emission
The ‘Texture coordinate’ is connected to the ‘image’s Vector. All this is funnelled into the ‘Emission’ and strength is turned up to 0.56, so as to make the light glow.
.(usage: BackLight Beam)

UVMap-Frontlight:This process is the same as for the backlight. I made sure to create a new material and just changed the image that is to be mapped.
.(usage: FrontLight Beam)
I added a Keylight(Plane mesh with emission strength of 39), a fill light(Sun) and a rim light(Spot). The latter has a blueish tint to the lighting and is place on the other side of the motorcycle. (I changed the naming to “KeyLight” for the emission later on)
That's It. That's how I got to model the piaggio X8!


© 2019 Fadly.M.H.Wychowvski

No comments:

Post a Comment

| Designed by Colorlib